Healthy School Meals
At Carpenters we believe in the importance of healthy eating and provide healthy, nutritionally balanced school meals daily.
We also have the support of parents and carers who send children to school with healthy packed lunches.
Although our school policy does not allow crisps, sweets, chocolate or fizzy drinks, there are many different combinations which will help make a packed lunch healthy and exciting! Here are some general ideas.
A healthy packed lunch should include:
- A good portion of starchy food, e.g. wholegrain roll, tortilla wrap, chapatti, pitta pocket, pasta or rice salad;
- A portion of lean meat, fish or alternative, e.g. chicken, ham, beef, tuna, egg, beans or houmous;
- Plenty of fruit and vegetables, e.g. an apple, satsuma, handful of cherry tomatoes or carrot sticks, small tub of fruit salad or small box of raisins;
- A portion of semi-skimmed milk or other dairy food, e.g. reduced fat cheese, yogurt or fromage frais;
- A drink e.g. fruit juice, semi-skimmed milk, yogurt drink or a bottle of water;
- A healthy snack bar.
More ideas can be found on the following useful websites.